Junior WPH is proud to present the Battle of the Border junior handball team competition between Junior WPH’s “Naty Gonzalez” cd. Juarez and Tucson’s Fred Lewis Foundation on Saturday, August 15th, 2015 at the Tucson Racquet Club. The junior team competition will feature junior singles and doubles matches in a Ryder Cup format to determine the best team on the border. The Battle of the Border will also feature a pro singles showdown, with Junior WPH’s “Naty Gonzalez” cd. Juarez represented by WPH Rookie of the Year and WPH R48 #7 Daniel Cordova and the Fred Lewis Foundation represented by Head Coach and top 20 WPH R48 pro Abraham Montijo.
Entry Form HERE (PDF)
“We are extremely excited for the junior players from Tucson and Juarez,” boasted Battle of the Border tournament director and WPH Youth Donor and Development Director David Fink. “Being a part of a team always enhances the excitement and determination of all of the players, while also building camaraderie amongst teammates and friendly rivalries between the teams that will last for decades.”
Each junior will play one singles match and one doubles match during the event, with the Cordova vs. Montijo pro showdown also counting towards the overall points total. The team with the most victories will emerge the best on the border.
The Battle of the Border will also feature a special Calcutta (balanced) Doubles, in which teams will be evenly matched in a mandatory alternate serve competition.
“The Tucson Racquet Club continues to be the home to the best junior, pro and master’s handball in the U.S.,” proclaimed WPH Executive Director David Vincent. “The WPH holds two or three exciting events per year in Tucson, outside of our November R48 Stop (apply here), to promote local and junior handball.”
Follow the Battle of the Border and all of the big events and news in handball on wphlive.tv, like the World Players of Handball on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for everything handball from around the world.
Tucson Racquet Club
One-day event only, play starts at 10 am
Junior WPH Juarez vs. Tucson’s Fred Lewis Foundation
- The World Players of Handball welcomes Junior WPH cd. Juarez to Tucson to challenge the Fred Lewis Foundation in a junior handball team competition
- Junior handball players will play singles and doubles matches against one another
- Tucson’s Favorite Son Abraham Montijo will face 2015 WPH Rookie of the Year Daniel Cordova as part of the Juarez vs. Tucson team competition
- The team that wins the most combined matches will win the Battle of the Border!
- Open to all players not playing in the Battle of the Border *Partners will be picked at random and teams will be evenly matched
- Calcutta Doubles is a no-entry fee event but we ask that you make a donation to support Junior WPH and the Battle of the Border
- All Calcutta Doubles matches are one game to 25 Info? Fink@juniorhandball.org
Juniors (19-and-under): Free
Adult Calcutta Doubles: No entry fee, but we ask that you make a donation to Junior WPH